J H Sinclair & Co Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales (collectively referred to as “Sinclairs”, “we”, “our”or “us” in this policy).
Maintaining the security of your data is a priority as SINCLAIRS, and we are committed to respecting your privacy rights. We pledge to handle your data fairly and legally at all times. SINCLAIRS is also dedicated to being transparent about what data we collect about you and we use it.
This policy, which applies whether you visit our store, use your mobile device or go on line, provides you with information about:
- How we use your data
- What personal data we collect
- How we endure your privacy is maintained; and
- Your legal rights relating to your personal data
How we use your data
SINCLAIRS (and trusted partners acting on our behalf) use your personal data:
- To provide goods and services to you;
- To manage any registered account(s) that you hold with us;
- With your agreement, to contact you by post and electronically about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you;
- Where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
SINCLAIRS uses your personal data for postal and electronic marketing (with your consent). We aim to update you about products & services which are of interest and relevance to you as an individual. You have the right to opt out of receiving promotional communications at any time, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your name and address.
Sharing data with third parties
In order to make certain services available to you, we may need to share your personal data with some of our service partners. These include IT, delivery and marketing service providers.
SINCLAIRS only allows its service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls. We also impose contractual obligations on service providers relating to data protection and security, which mean they can only use your data to provide services to SINCLAIRS and to you, and for no other purpose.
Other third parties
Aside from our service providers, SINCLAIRS will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below. We will never sell or rent our customer data to other organisations for marketing purposes.
We may share your data with:
- Credit reference agencies where necessary for card payments;
- Government bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so:-
- To comply with our legal obligations
- To exercise our legal rights
- For the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders; and
- For the protection of our employees and customers.
What personal data do we collect
SINCLAIRS may collect the following information about you
- Your name, age/date of birth and gender;
- Your contact details: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address;
- Purchases and orders made by you;
- When you make a purchase or place and order with us, your payment card details;
How we protect you data
SINCLAIRS is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure. Our security measures include;
- Internal policies setting out our data security approach and training for employees
- Regular scenario planning and crisis management exercises to ensure we are ready to respond to cyber security attacks and data security incidents;
What you can do to help protect your data
SINCLAIRS will never ask you to confirm any bank account or credit card details via email or post. If you receive an email or letter claiming to be from SINCLAIRS asking you to do so, please ignore it and do not respond.
You have the following rights:
- The right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time,
- The right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge: and
- (as set out above) the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you. If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
Legal basis for SINCLAIRS processing customer personal data General
SINCLAIRS collects and uses customer’s personal data because is it necessary for:
- The pursuit of our legitimate interest (as set out below)
- The purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract for the sale of goods to a customer; or
- Complying with our legal obligations.
In general, we can rely on consent as a legal basis for processing in relation to sending direct marketing communications to customers via email, text message or post.
Customers have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the one legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
Our legitimate interests
The normal legal basis for processing customer data, is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of SINCLAIRS, including:-
- Selling and supplying goods and services to our customers
- Protecting customers, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare;
- Promoting, marketing and advertising our products and services;
- Sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to individual customers (including administering our loyalty scheme)
- Improving existing products and services and developing new products and services;
- Complying with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- Preventing, investigation and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and prosecuting offenders, including working with law enforcement agencies;
- Handling customer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes;
- Managing insurance claims by customers;
- Protecting SINCLAIRS, its employees and customers, by taking appropriate legal action against third parties who have committed criminal acts are in breach of legal obligations to SINCLAIRS
- Effectively handling any legal claims or regulatory enforcement actions taken against SINCLAIRS; and
- Fulfilling our duties to our customers, colleagues, shareholders and other stakeholders.
What are cookies?
How are cookies managed?
The cookies stored on your computer or other devices when you access our websites are designed by:
- SINCLAIRS, or on behalf SINCLAIRS, and are necessary to enable you to a make purchases on our website.
- Third parties who participate with us in marketing programmes; and
- Third parties who broadcast web banner advertisements on behalf of SINCLAIRS.
What are cookies used for?
The main purposes for which cookies are used are:-
- For technical purposes essential to effective operation of our websites, particularly in relation to on-line transactions and site navigation.
- For SINCLAIRS to market to you, particularly web banner advertisements and targeted updates.
- To enable SINCLAIRS to collect information about your browsing and shopping patterns, including to monitor the success of campaigns, competitions etc.
How do I disable cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this depend on the browser you use.
If you have any questions about how SINCLAIRS uses your personal data that are not answered here, or if you want to exercise your rights regarding your personal data, please contact us be the following means:
- Phone us on 01723 374477
- E-mail us on Reception@firstforfurniture.com
- Write to us at PO BOX 31 , 53-63 Aberdeen Walk, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 1AG
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk
This policy was last updated in May 2018 - version 1.2